It’s been some time since I originally announced my plans for world rice cooker domination. I finally got my new Presto rice cooker via UPS yesterday, and I immediately went to work locating a first-time recipe that would be worthy of this challenge – and most importantly, was cooked entirely in the rice cooker.
- Side note: I got the rice cooker from Amazon, and it had a huge dent on the side and the box had a huge hole in it. I emailed the vendor, and they issued a full refund. So long story short, I have a FREE rice cooker 🙂
In future posts, I will explain some of the things I have found out – both good and bad – while researching the uses of rice cookers. Also, I will be trying a lot of recipes, so I have a Pinterest Board created for this challenge. It includes articles I find about cooking meals with rice cookers.
Now, onto the recipe!
As I searched the web – and of course, Pinterest – I came across a recipe for Balsamic Dijon Chicken with Farro & Mushrooms from a blog called “Clean Eating.” This recipe intrigued me for several reasons: it was cooked entirely in the rice cooker, and the ingredients included several things I had never heard of and/or never tried before – shallots (a relative of onions and garlic) and Farro (a type of wheat grain I could only find at Whole Foods) in place of rice. Mom told me she loves barley and this seems to be similar, so we decided to go “all the way” with this challenge and give it a try.
Give it a try yourself, and let me know what you think!
- 4 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup Farro
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Prepare marinade: In a bowl or zip-top plastic bag, combine all marinade ingredients. Add chicken, turning to ensure that breasts are completely coated with marinade. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or seal bag and refrigerate until needed.
- Set your rice cooker to the “regular” setting. Place 1 tsp oil in rice cooker bowl. Add shallots, stirring to coat, then close or cover with lid. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shallots have softened. Add mushrooms and cook for 8 more minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and have released water. Stir in Farro and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth. Place chicken, discarding leftover marinade, on top of Farro mixture. Close or cover with lid and reset rice cooker to “regular” setting. The program should take about 1 hour, depending on the rice cooker. Chicken is done when its internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- To serve, place 3/4 cup farro-mushroom mixture on each plate and top with 1 chicken breast. Sprinkle with parsley, dividing evenly.
If you do everything correctly, it should look something like this 🙂