In a previous post I mentioned I that I’ve always wanted to visit all 50 states before I die. In October, I plan to begin making good on that dream, by taking my first trip to the Northeast United States where I’ve never been before. I’ll visit 4 states: Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut & New York!
Recently, while taking a much-needed vacation to my old stomping ground of Jacksonville, FL – I lived there for 6 years before moving to Oregon in 2009 – I was searching for a useful iPhone app that would allow me to easily track – and access – my travel itineraries in one simple place.
Then I found it: the Kayak Pro app.
NOTE: the Pro app costs $.99 and is the upgrade to the free app, but it’s well worth it! And I’m not sure if it’s available on any other platforms (Windows Phone, Android, etc.)
There is not enough great things I can say about this app! It’s awesome!
Here are my top 10 reasons you need this app on your iPhone.
1. Track your entire trip – simply email car, hotel and airline reservation emails to email@example.com (from the email associated with your Kayak account) and the app will store everything in chronological order.
2. Airline fees – Sick of booking cheap fares and then finding out about a million additional fees charged by the airline? Use the Kayak app to look up airline fees BEFORE you book.
3. 24-hour check in reminders – exactly 24 hours prior to departure of ANY of your flights, Kayak emails you to remind you that you can now check-in online. The email includes the direct link for checking in with the airline and other useful details, including flight numbers, departure times and a link to the full trip itinerary saved with Kayak.
4. Flight status – there are very few things more annoying than trekking all the way to the airport only to find out that the flight was delayed or (worse) cancelled. Once you add your itinerary to the app, Kayak constantly tracks your flights and emails you when they change. It also updates your itinerary within the app so you always get the latest info!
5. Gate change – if you’re lucky and your flight doesn’t get delayed/cancelled, you still face the unpleasant situation of gate changes. Not to worry, Kayak tracks that too! Even when you’re in flight, if the gate changes for your connecting flight, expect a prompt email from Kayak notifying you of the new gate.
6. Baggage claim – once your flight lands at your destination, Kayak notifies you what baggage carousel your bags will arrive at. Enough said.
7. In-airport notifications – one of the coolest and most useful features of the app is notifications. Once you arrive at the airport (whether by car or flight), the app will provide notifications of important information such as reminders for rental car reservations and links to airport terminal maps so you can navigate the airport with ease.
8. Packing list –are you one of those travelers who gets to the airport and THEN realizes you forgot your phone charger at home? Use the pre-installed packing lists that help you make sure you remember everything, or create your own personalized lists for common trips (business, pleasure, etc.)
9. Airport information I mentioned this in #7, but it’s worth repeating. At anytime, you can click on the airport to get details including terminal layouts and the location of restaurants and ATMs.
10. Archived trip data the final feature that’s a lifesaver is the ability to click on the flight, hotel and rental car portions of your saved trips and view important reservation numbers and even a saved copy of the actual email you sent to Kayak. Amazing!!!
If you don’t have Kayak Pro, it’s worth getting it.
If you didn’t get that important message from the top 10 list above, you have bigger problems 🙂
Until next post,